The rebel spirit of Joe Strummer lives on in The Smash, inspiring riders to choose their own path, no matter what stands in your way. The combination of GG-style geometry and Freedom Linkage suspension platform creates a 29er you can take on anything from epic big mountain days, to days in the bike park, to your rock-strewn after-work lap.
Riders can choose between Crush Mode and Plush Mode for the suspension platform that’s ideal for your local terrain and riding style. Crush Mode is more poppy and supportive, while Plush Mode is smoother in the rough--turning rock gardens into a fine velour carpet. Further dial in your ride by choosing an air or coil rear shock.
We scrutinized the suspension feel compared to the Trail Pistol and Megatrail, making minute changes that optimize The Smash for its rider. It is softer off the top and through the mid-stroke, yet has more bottom out protection towards the end of its stroke. This creates a platform that is ready for smashing rocks and goin’ fast--up and down.
We used our background in racecar engineering to create the Freedom Linkage, a versatile platform that gives you the freedom to tune the suspension characteristics based on your local terrain and riding style.
Alongside performance, our engineers design for refinement and eliminating unnecessary complication. This creates a platform that's made for goin' fast, yet is easy to maintain and built to last. Plus, it's built right here in our Colorado facility in the good ol' U.S. of A.
- 140 mm travel
- Crush Mode & Plush Mode
- Crush Mode: strong mid-stroke support for flow trails and all-day adventures
- Plush Mode: softer top stroke for smashing rocks and mega-traction
- Freedom Linkage using proprietary Horst Link implementation
- Steeper seat tube angle maintains consistent geo as the saddle is raised and lowered, improves climbing efficency
- NUTS (Necessities Under the Saddle) Bracket keeps your flat changing essentials easily accessible (and lightens your load)
- Bottle mount in front triangle
- 6.8 lbs. (3,085 g) frame with hardware (size Medium)
- 230 x 57.5 metric shock
- 30.9 mm seatpost with stealth dropper routing
- 49 mm headtube, fits tapered steerer tubes
- ISCG05 chainguide mount
- Threaded 73 mm BSA threaded BB shell (greatly reduces creaking)
- 55 mm chainline
- 12 x 148 Boost rear hub, offset 3 mm to the driveside for optimal chainline and clearance
- Universal Syntace X-12 rear axle and derailleur hanger
- ISO brake caliper mount
- Max fork travel: 160 mm
- Max dropper insertion: 240 mm
- Max tire size: 29 x 2.5”
|Sizing Guide*||165 - 173 cm||174 cm - 182 cm||183 - 192 cm||193 - 203 cm|
|HA w/ 140 mm Fork*||66.0º||66.0º||66.0º||66.0º|
|SA - Effective*||75.8º||75.8º||75.8º||75.8º|
|SA - Actual*||73.5º||73.5º||73.5º||73.5º|
|BB Height w/ 140 mm Fork*||345 mm||345 mm||345 mm||345 mm|
|Effective Top Tube||584 mm||617 mm||648 mm||679 mm|
|Reach**||440 mm||465 mm||490 mm||515 mm|
|Stack||617 mm||635 mm||650 mm||673 mm|
|Wheelbase||1178 mm||1212 mm||1245 mm||1279 mm|
|Standover||686 mm||719 mm||757 mm||793 mm|
|Chainstay||429 mm||429 mm||429 mm||429 mm|
|Headtube Height||100 mm||120 mm||140 mm||160 mm|
|Seat Tube Height||419 mm||457 mm||495 mm||533 mm|
* The Smash accepts forks between 140-160 mm of travel. Changing the travel +/- 10 mm creates a head angle (HA) change of +/- .4º and BB height change of .1" (3 mm).